Ph.D. in Plant Biology (Jul 2014). University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, IL, USA
Thesis title: “Impacts of global warming and rising atmospheric CO2 concentrations on physiology, development and productivity of Midwestern crops”.
B.S. in Biological Sciences (Jul 2005). La Molina National Agrarian University (Universidad Nacional Agraria La Molina), Lima, Peru
PROFESSIONAL RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Sep 2014 – to present). Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA
- Led projects about light interception efficiency in lines of soybean and transformed tobacco that could have better photosynthesis and yield potentials.
- Led the study of carbon storage capacity of tobacco cultivars exposed to different CO2 concentrations and nitrogen levels. (supervisor: Dr. Donald Ort since April 2015)
- Improved the evapotranspiration rate predictions from the crop model Biocro, for the bioenergy plant Miscanthus giganteus. (supervisor: Dr. Stephen Long from September 2014 to March 2015)
- Well-versed in installing in the field and analyzing the data collected from quantum sensors, implementing enzymatic protocols for carbohydrate content determination in plant material, coding with the R programming language and working coordinately with a diverse group of people.
- Experienced in the training of research assistants in laboratory and field protocols.
Graduate Research Assistant (Jun 2009 – Jul 2014). Department of Plant Biology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA
- Oversaw the Temperature by Free Air CO2 Enrichment (FACE, http://www.igb.illinois.edu/soyface/welcome) experiment that evaluated increases in temperature and CO2 on soybean and maize.
- Gained experience using gas exchange and stable isotope techniques, measuring plant water potential, performing RNA extraction protocols, using Arc GIS software, doing statistical analysis and working with a diverse group of professionals and students.
Field Assistant (Apr – Aug 2007, 2008). Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (STRI), Panama
- Led the cover forest measurements, data processing and maintenance of the field experiment. Project:: "Evidence of density-dependent mortality of seeds of pioneer species”.
Scientific Researcher (Sep 2006 – Mar 2007). Human Genetic Laboratory, “Mayor de San Marcos” National University, UNMSM, Lima, Peru
- Led the project “Cytogenetic Characterization of the aquatic turtle Taricaya (Podocnemis unifilis)”.
- Adapted the cytogenetic techniques for turtles.
Internship (Jul 2006 – Aug 2006). Evolution and Animal Genetics Laboratory, Amazonas State University, Manaus, Brazil
- Received training in cytogenetic techniques
Field Assistant (Aug 2002 - Oct 2005)
- Gained experience in vegetation monitoring techniques. Biological Conservation Unit of Cayetano Heredia Peruvian University, Madre de Dios, Peru.
- Independently performed bird and vegetation inventories. Cocha Cashu Biological Station, Madre de Dios, Peru.
- Led the maintenance of the cacti and succulent plants collection. Botanical Garden of La Molina National Agrarian University, Lima, Peru.
- Microsoft Office
- SigmaPlot, scientific data analysis and graphing software.
- SAS, statistical software
- ArcGIS, geographic information system software
R programing language